Postmodern PostgreSQL Application Development
Postmodern PostgreSQL Application Development is a talk that I gave at PostgreSQL Conference East 08 (abstract). Here you will find links to the talk itself (once it's uploaded), the presentation, and the source code used.
If you run into trouble with anything here, feel free to email me at dav...@sankelsoftware.com
On This Page:
The talk is about application development, from an empty directory to a simple installer, using Python, PyQt, PostgreSQL, SQLAlchemy, and NSIS. The example application we apply this process to is a customer management program that is used with a centralized database.
The result is an extremely rapid and fun development process using open source tools exclusively.
Postmodern PostgreSQL Application Development.pptx. Microsoft Powerpoint Version. Recommended for those who have Powerpoint.
Postmodern PostgreSQL Application Development.pdf. PDF Version.
Customers src no postgres.zip. A runnable version of the source code without PostgreSQL.
Customers src.zip. A runnable version of the source code with PostgreSQL. This is big (~20M).
Customers-1.0.0-installer.exe. A windows installer for the final release.
Here are instructions for getting the source code running on a
- Download/install python.
- Download/run ez_setup.py.
- Type "easy_install pyscopg2" on prompt to install psycopg2 (note: easy_install should reside in "$PYTHONDIR/Scripts").
- Type "easy_install sqlalchemy" on prompt to install SqlAlchemy.
- Download/install PyQt.
- Download/install MSYS (Quick Link). This is what we use to process the Makefile.
- Put python, PyQt's designer, and MSYS's bin directory in your path
At this point you should be good to go!